The Baltics – Day 1: Helsinki

Having finally found a job, I realised I do not need to spend all my days searching for one. My new posting will begin in June, and until then I will be using this suddenly brief period of freedom to travel and visit friends. Thinking of where to go, I remembered that I thoroughly enjoyed my travels last summer, when my wanderings took me to Sweden, Norway, and Denmark. It was warm but not hot, the days overflowed with many golden hours, and the weather mostly stayed sunny. Since I have not yet been to the Baltics, the concrete choice of destination was easy.

I arrived in Helsinki just after eleven in the evening on the 23rd of May. I had no trouble finding the train station, where I purchased a 24-hour ticket and boarded the train to the central station. I had done some preliminary research on public transportation zones and prices, but this knowledge turned out to be superfluous: a helpful electronic map on the ticket machine helps travellers decide what tickets to buy.

The last green glimmer of daylight faded as I made my way from the station to my hotel a little after midnight. I found the streets in a messy state, as they were undergoing extensive repairs, and I cursed a few times while trying to get around the barriers. Fortunately, these manoeuvres were made remarkably easy by the minimal traffic in Helsinki during the wee hours.

I found the next morning quite rough. I had planned to wake up at half past eight, but the light pounding at my windows from around five made it difficult to stay asleep. By eight I could no longer bear it, so I took a shower, ate my breakfast, and checked out. Since my hotel was located in the north, I continued a little farther out of the centre to see the Sibelius Monument. To my great embarrassment, I could not conjure up a single Sibelius tune as I made my way over, and instead I ended up with several Grieg pieces pounding in my brain for the rest of the day.   

From the Sibelius Monument I walked south to the Temppeliaukio Church, where I arrived just in time for its opening. The church is noted for its modernist design, with sides carved into the rock and a circular metal roof hovering above a band of glass windows. Although the architect originally envisaged covering up the rock walls, he was dissuaded from doing so by expert musicians, who pointed out that the acoustics would be better if the original material was kept in place. 

After making another stop at the peaceful Kamppi Chapel – a golden building with a homely wooden interior and cushions resembling stones in a zen garden – I continued to the harbour. There is a regular ferry from the harbour to the island of Suomenlinna, which has decks in both the front and back to give tourists the chance to view Helsinki and neighbouring islands. Interestingly, it is usually European tourists who take the outdoor seats, while most Asian tourists tend to stay inside.

Suomenlinna is of special historical interest for being an erewhile island fortress. Built by the Swedes to defend Finland from the Russians, it was further developed by the Russians after it failed to do so. Following Finland’s independence, Suomenlinna remained important to the country’s defences, which is attested to by some of the modern exhibits on the island. During my tour, I visited a WWII submarine and tried to imagine what it would be like to serve on one. I am sure I would hate the humidity, but seeing as the Finns are great fans of saunas, I imagine this was not their top complaint.  

For people who are not great military enthusiasts, there is not all that much to see in Suomenlinna, though some Finns visit the islands to sunbathe. The most visually compelling sights in Suomenlinna include the pink hall housing the visitor centre, the church, and the round grassy barracks on the very southern tip. The latter also offer good views of the colourful rocks that make Suomenlinna so difficult to access from the sea.

After I returned to the mainland, I went directly to Helsinki Cathedral, a neoclassical Lutheran church built under Russian rule. Its iconic domes were designed as an allusion to famous churches built in a more Russian style: Saint Issac’s Cathedral and Kazan Cathedral in Saint Petersburg. From there, I made another visit to the Central Station, whose beautiful tower I had noticed on my way to the harbour. The green copper roof of this soaring clock tower reinforces the strong art deco presence in Helsinki while also presenting an ageless beauty.

My last stop for the day was the Uspenski (Dormition) Cathedral. Built to serve the needs of the orthodox religious community during Russian rule, it provides a perfect counterpoint to Helsinki Cathedral. Whereas the Lutheran church is snow white and gentle in its roundness, the orthodox church is blood red and fiercely angular. The interior of Uspenski Cathedral, however, seemed less Russian and more austerely Scandinavian than I anticipated. The heavy columns reflected light in their bare simplicity, and the walls and ceilings had far fewer paintings than usual for an orthodox house of prayer.

With some time to kill and the National Library closed, I found refuge in the nearby Oodi library. I worked there for a while before heading out to buy a quick dinner and taking the tram to the ferry terminal (buying a day ticket has been my most intelligent move on this trip). Feeling guilty about having had Vietnamese food for lunch, I bought a sandwich with dill and vegan caviar and a typically Finnish pastry: a korvapuusti, or cinnamon roll. They were both surprisingly tasty – despite their undistinguished provenance from a train station supermarket.

I always find something to surprise me and impress me on my travels. This time, it was the process of checking in for my ferry. When I arrived at the terminal, I simply went up to one of the self-service machines, put in my codes, and received a ticket with my name printed on it. Swiping my ticket on the reader was the last stage in the process; I proceeded directly from the waiting hall to the ship, which was practically a giant floating shopping mall. I arrived in Tallinn at around half past nine.  

The Parliament House
The Sibelius Monument
The face of Sibelius forming the right part of the monument
Inside Temppeliaukio Church
The ceiling of Temppeliaukio Church
The altar
The Parliament House by daylight
Kamppi Chapel and Narinkka Square
A building with a dome
Keisarinnankivi, an obelisk with a double-headed eagle, the symbol of imperial Russia. The monument was defaced by Russian sailors in 1917 and restored in 1971
Helsinki Cathedral
The gallery in Suomenlinna
A blooming tree
The church of Suomenlinna
Another view of the gallery
The inside of a submarine
The hillocks in the south
Cannons
The view back towards the church
The path
A house in Suomenlinna
The same
Augustin Ehrensvärd's Grave
Uspenski Cathedral
Another view of Helsinki Cathedral
The pulpit in Helsinki Cathedral
The National Theatre
Art deco statues on the walls of Helsinki Central Station
The tower of Helsinki Central Station
Uspenski Cathedral as seen from the streets
Uspenski Cathedral as seen from below
Tallinn

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ireland: Day 8 – County Louth

Southern Delhi and Other Bits and Pieces

When the Cows Come Home: The Désalpe in Saint-Cergue