Poland Trip: Day 3 – Gdańsk and Malbork Castle

My dad says I trust the weather forecast too much, and he may very well be right. Because it is supposed to rain tomorrow, I decided that I would try to see all the items on my list today. The weather was supposed to be sunny and indeed it was – perhaps too much so. Record temperatures are being reported from across Europe, and even as northern a town as Gdańsk started feeling uncomfortably steamy by ten o’clock.

I criss-crossed the old town in the morning, walking west on Długa and back east on Chlebnicka. Długa is the main street in Gdańsk, stretching between the Green Gate in the east and the Golden Gate in the west. Between these two gates stands the Main Town Hall with its slender redbrick tower, as well as Neptune’s Fountain. Even farther west is the executioner’s tower (called the Katownia) and the High Gate, which marks the boundary of the old town. Looping around to Chlebnicka, one walks past the Great Armoury and eventually reaches the Basilica of Saint Mary.

With its double roofed main tower and a host of shorter, spindly roofs made of copper, the Basilica is one of the largest brick churches in the world. Nevertheless, its interior seems rather austere in comparison to some of the places of worship I have seen on this trip. The church is only a stone’s throw away from Saint Mary’s Gate, and I imagine that so many buildings in the city carry Mary’s name because she is the patron saint of the Knights Hospitaller, who left an indelible mark on Gdańsk.

I walked along the bank of Spichrzów Island for a few minutes, taking in the views of the houses on the opposite side. Most impressive among them is the crane, a wooden building that dates to the fifteenth century. The crane was used to transfer cargoes and install masts on ships, which it was able to do thanks to its body leaning forwards over the river. I then walked through the southern, more residential part of town to take pictures of the Church of Saints Peter and Paul, as well as the National Museum.

After I had eaten breakfast – a bit of bread and cheese from a supermarket – I felt ready to begin my last loop through the city. I walked back east along Długa one more time and crossed the river onto Spichrzów Island, crossing it as well. This time, I took in the views of the old town from the town’s marina, which emerges just behind the tip of Spichrzów and which leads to the island Ołowianka. As I found out, Ołowianka only connects to the mainland by a bascule bridge, which alternates every half an hour between its open and closed position.

As I reached the bridge not long after it had opened for boats, I had to wait some time before I could proceed to the churches on the other side. I originally intended to visit the Basilica of Saint Bridget, but drawn in by the grandeur of Saint Catherine’s Church, I had to retrace my steps to get there. Once again, Saint Catherine’s interior was somewhat underwhelming, especially in contrast to Saint Bridget’s, which has a very interesting and shiny deconstructed altar. No wonder that of all the major churches in Gdańsk, it is Saint Bridget’s that charges an entry fee.

I arrived at the main train station a little before 11:20. I thought this might give me enough time to catch the next train to Malbork, which was supposed to leave at 11:27, but the ticket machine refused to give me a ticket. Annoyed, I had to wait in line to buy my ticket from a ticket booth while the minutes slipped by. The lady was only able to give me the ticket for the 12:02 train, which I thought rather late until I somehow managed to miss that train as well by confusing the platform number and the track number. The time 12:57 when the next train for Malbork left seemed much later by comparison.

I arrived in Malbork having eaten lunch and applied sunscreen at the main station in Gdańsk. I was very glad I did both, as the ensuing tour of the castle would prove to be long and occasionally exposed to the sharp sunlight. Despite my usual aversion to audioguides, the one provided at Malbork was well-paced and informative. I learned about the origins of the Knights Hospitaller as the order in charge of the Christian hospital in Jerusalem during the Crusades. I also learned of the order’s disputes with the Polish crown, which eventually led to the castle’s sale to the Polish King following a long siege by Polish forces. Some websites assert Malbork is the largest castle in the world, but its website only claims it to be the largest brick castle.

When I returned to Gdańsk late in the afternoon, my feet were killing me. Still mindful of the imminent change in weather, however, I climbed the town hill to see Gdańsk in the light of the setting sun. After I descended, I ate a proper dinner at a Georgian restaurant and waddled off painfully to my hotel.

The facades of houses on Długa Street
The Main Town Hall of Gdańsk
The same
Neptune's Fountain
A statue incorporated into the facade of a building in Gdańsk
The Golden Gate and the Katownia
An interesting brick house
The same
The Katownia
The Great Armoury
"Ghost Memorial"
Buildings over the Motlawa
The Crane over Motlawa River
More buildings over Motlawa River
The crane again
More views of the buildings above the river
Saint Mary's Gate
The same
The Green Gate
The Church of Saints Peter and Paul
The Church of the Holy Trinity
The High Gate
The Katownia
The Basilica of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary
The Armoury
The buildings above the Motlawa
The Baszta Stągiewna
The Basilica of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary
Saint Mary's Gate
The same, with the Black Pearl in the forefront
The Swan Tower
The same
Saint Catherine's Church
The same
Buildings in front of Saint Catherine's Church
The Basilica of Saint Bridget
The altar
The view across Heweliusz Park
The train station
Mother Mary in the window of Malbork Castle
The entrance to Malbork Castle
More towers at Malbork
Another building at Malbork
More Malbork towers
A pillar supporting the railing at Malbork
A monstrance
A column head decorated by human figures
A hall within Malbork
The same
A painted ceiling
The same
A tall ceiling
A cannonball lodged in the wall from a battle
A lion knocker
An amber decoration
A hall at the castle
Murals
Tombs at the castle's church
An ornate tympanum
Another mural
Painted decorations
Little figures standing in an arch
The inside of the church at Malbork Castle
Back outside the castle
The Wieża Maślankowa
The Roman Catholic Parish of Saint John the Baptist
The view of Malbork Castle from across the river
The same
More of the same
The same with the church to the right
The same with the Centre of Culture and Education on the right
The castle again
The view of Gdańsk from the Góra Gradowa
More of the same
The Basilica
The High Gate
Multiple views of the Basilica
And more

Comments

Archive

Show more

Popular posts from this blog

Southern Delhi and Other Bits and Pieces

India: Day 9 – Independence Day

India: Days 5-8 – On a tea estate in Darjeeling