Germany Trip – Day 4: Düsseldorf, Essen, and Dortmund

It was supposed to rain all day so I decided that from my base in Cologne, I would visit some of the less interesting areas in the region. I started the day in Düsseldorf, whose main claim to fame is being the capital of North-Rhine Westphalia. This fact is somewhat meaningless, though, considering how interconnected the whole region is. In fact, I took the suburban rail all the way from Cologne to get there. Similarly to Cologne, Düsseldorf has a silly name, as “Dorf” means “village” in German, and Düsseldorf is definitely not that.

Since the wind was strong and the rain abundant, I did not spend much time touring the city. After a brief walk past Town Hall and the monument to Düsseldorf receiving city rights (or the Stadterhebungsmonument), I visited the Saint Lambertus Basilica, whose remarkable altar was obstructed by technology set up for some later event. I then hurried back to the metro and rode it to the main station.

The second leg of my journey took me to Essen, the historic centre of the industrial Ruhr region. Essen is known for the Zollverein Coal Mine Industrial Complex, which has long been out of use and now houses a massive museum dedicated to the Ruhr Region. The mine was one of the largest in Europe and noted for its architectural qualities. I have not been to many mines, but it seems the bar is quite low, as the buildings of the Zollverein mine are uninspiringly bland.

I reached the Zollverein by tram and spent about half an hour at the museum. I expected it to have more machinery, but the museum focusses more on archaeological discoveries and the daily lives of people living in the Ruhr region from the prehistoric past to the modern era. By the time I finished my visit, the weather had started to clear up a little, but it began to rain again by the time I reached the Essen Minster. Founded in 845, the complex was rebuilt to its 13th century form following bombing in WWII. The nearby treasury also houses a number of beautiful artifacts, many of them made of gold and containing the relics of saints.   

Across the road from the Essen Minster stands the Old Synagogue, built at the beginning of the 20th century. Its interior is much less ornate than can be gleaned from pictures of the original; while the synagogue largely escaped bombing in WWII, its interior burned out and was converted into a museum.

My last stop for the day was Dortmund, another city in the greater Rhine-Ruhr Metropolitan Region. Dortmund is mostly known for its football club (I forget its exact name and I refuse to search it up because caring about sports is against my aesthetic) and sure enough, there was some kind of get-together between local fans and the fans of a Colombian team. In Dortmund, I visited Saint Reinold’s Church and took a little tour of the old city, including its Registry Office and its old battlements. 

The Town Hall in Düsseldorf
The Stadterhebungsmonument
Saint Lambertus Basilica
One part of the Stadterhebungsmonument
Inside the Zollverein
The entrance to the Zollverein Coal Mine Industrial Complex
A closer view of the Zollverein
An ornate chest at the Essen Minster Treasury
An icon of the Mother Mary
More relics at the Essen Minster Treasury
A crown at the at the Essen Minster Treasury
More reliquaries at the at the Essen Minster Treasury
A fountain by the Essen Minster
Essen Minster from the outside
A tomb and a door at Essen Minster
A tomb at Essen Minster
The inside of Essen Minster
The Old Synagogue in Essen
Inside the Old Synagogue
Saint Reinold's Church in Dortmund
A bell outside the church
The church altar
The Registry Office
Hawk's Tower

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ireland: Day 8 – County Louth

Southern Delhi and Other Bits and Pieces

When the Cows Come Home: The Désalpe in Saint-Cergue