A Sunny Day in Paris

As part of my job hunt, I decided to make a trip to Western Europe and tap into my network in a few cities. After staying with some friends in London, I went on my first train ride through the English Channel Tunnel and spent the rest of the week at another friend’s place in Paris. I cannot yet say that the trip was very productive, but I did meet the people I set out to meet and saw quite a few sights along the way.

My first afternoon in Paris was surprisingly sunny, so as soon as I settled in, I grabbed my camera and went out. Staying comfortably in the 5th Arrondissement, I strolled over to the Grande Mosquée, which unlike many other European mosques is built in the distinctive North-African style. With its giant angular minaret, it is a fitting reminder of France’s erewhile presence in the Southern Mediterranean. The mosque lies but a short walk away from the ancient Amphitheatre of Lutetia, a small and low-built stadium that is now used by residents as a relaxation spot.

Attempting to make the most of the good weather, I rushed on to further attractions: The Church of Saint-Étienne-du-Mont and the French Pantheon, one of the most spectacular sights I had never heard of before visiting. Since the weather was nice, I decided not to go in that day, which was just as well: when I braved the relatively short queue three days later, I ended up waiting for half an hour. Drawing closer to the Seine, I saw that the Notre Dame Cathedral was still surrounded by scaffolding. To compensate for its inaccessibility to the public, a large tribune was constructed in front of the building, though perhaps this was more closely related to the following day’s marathon.

I only learned from my friend Sophie, with whom I stayed in London, that the tower destroyed by the recent Notre Dame fire was a very late addition to the cathedral. Indeed, some traditionalists like the great Victor Hugo adopted a decidedly negative attitude towards it. The cynic in me wants to write that perhaps Hugo did whatever the opposite is of rolling in his grave when the tower was consumed by flames. Still, things could have gone much worse, and it is fortunate that the Notre Dame did not end up like the nearby Tour Saint-Jacques, the only vestige left of an old church.  

The Grande Mosquée of Paris
The Amphitheatre of Lutetia
Saint-Étienne-du-Mont
The Pantheon
The same
The dome of the Pantheon
The tower of an observatory
A church tower
The Notre Dame
The same
The front of the Notre Dame
The Tour Saint-Jacques
A sphinx
The tower of Saint-Germain-l'Auxerrois
The Louvre
The Louvre Pyramid

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ireland: Day 8 – County Louth

Southern Delhi and Other Bits and Pieces

When the Cows Come Home: The Désalpe in Saint-Cergue