A few hours in Annecy

The 1st of October was another sunny day in a string of pleasant weekends, so I decided to make a day trip to Annecy. To reach this French town from northwestern Geneva, one has to traverse the entire city to Annemasse, which lies just across the French border. I am sure there are other connections as well, but it seemed more pleasant to stay on one single mode of public transport since I could keep myself entertained.

Annecy is a lovely town with a well-preserved medieval centre. Walking from the train station, I passed by the Church of Our Lady of Liesse and the Cathedral of Saint Peter before I reached the river. I thought the latter had an especially impressive nave. Since it was a sunny Sunday, the streets along the river were packed – not just with tourists but with street vendors and expansive restaurants. I spent a few hours just walking around: after getting an impression of the twelfth-century Palais de L’île (which, as the name indicates, is located on an island in the middle of the river), I climbed up to the Chateau and down again to the Gardens of Europe where I ate my packed lunch.

Eating a pecan ice cream (for although I bought a packed lunch, I could not resist the draw of an exotically stocked display), I walked along the promenade to Charles Bosson Park. I quickly gathered that the promenade is the place to be on a sunny day. Crowds of people were walking along and absorbing the views of the mountains in the east, while the braver among them waded into the lake or even swam in its turquoise waters.

When I returned to Geneva, I had some time to kill between my connections, so I went up to Nations and took pictures of the UN building and the nearby Ariana Museum.

A building in Annecy
The Church of Our Lady of Liesse
The square in front of the church
The church again
A statue opposite the Cathedral of Saint Peter
The interior of the cathedral
The lectern of the church
Another view of the interior
The Palais de I'Île
Pont Perrière
The Church of Saint-François de Sales
The Museum-Château of Annecy
The Notre Dame of Liesse
The Palace of the Island
The Church of Saint-François de Sales
Claude Louis Berthollet
The lake panorama
Lake Annecy
The beach along Lake Annecy
Boats on the lake
More boats
Another lake view
Charles Bosson Park
A wooden pier
Another view of the lake
The Palace of the Island
Another view of the palace
An obelisk
The Church of Our Lady
The Broken Chair in Geneva
The United Nations building
A statue of Gandhi
The Ariana Museum

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Southern Delhi and Other Bits and Pieces

India: Day 9 – Independence Day

India: Days 5-8 – On a tea estate in Darjeeling