My Last Term at Oxford

Reflecting on my last term at Oxford, I think I spent it well. Perhaps I should have started studying for my exams later, as I was barely even going through the motions in the last two weeks, but at least I felt confident in my answers. I took exams in two subjects: the International Relations of East Asia and Russian International Relations and Foreign Policy. I revised for the first in the usual way: I read through my notes until I was absolutely sick of them, and I copied the most important points onto a word document. Realising that I had learned practically nothing about Southeast Asia during the Cold War, I also studied a few Wikipedia pages and boiled them down into digestible bullet points. Finally, I prepared a few paragraphs of definitions that I could copy straight onto the online exam (which is perfectly within exam regulations).  

In contrast, my exam on Russia was held at the Examination School; it was closed book and handwritten. Worse still, I had misplaced my folder with all my handwritten notes, and I kept no study materials besides the syllabus, the class presentations, and a few reading notes that one of my classmates shared with me. Perhaps this was a blessing in disguise, however, as focussing my cognitive abilities on a limited range of readings and topics helped me effectively memorise a useable list of author names and case studies. Also, since my exam was at the Examination School, I got to take part in the whole pageantry of dressing up in sub fusc and wearing a carnation around town. This was more fun before the exam than after it: I took off my gown and sub fusc because of the sweltering heat and broke the stem of my carnation in the process.

Outside of school, I tried to make the most of my time. I visited my friend Lekha in London one last time and I hanged out with my friends in Oxford over various fun activities. I organised an IR-themed pub quiz where I pawned off my stash of sweets, as well as titbits of niche knowledge gathered during my many Wikipedia rabbit hole journeys. I also had a few music-appreciation sessions with my friends Sparsh and Sophie. Unrelatedly, after dozens of applications and a handful of interviews, I landed a six-month traineeship with the European Union beginning in September.

As for my personal goal of entering all the Oxford colleges, I achieved it on my penultimate day by visiting Linacre College. Somehow, I had never entered Linacre despite its being right on the way from Saint Antony’s to the Department of Politics and International Relations. Indeed, I had even seen all the Private Halls by then (well, except for Saint Benet’s Hall, which I had passed by many times but never entered until it was too late and it went bankrupt in 2022).

Oxford delivered on my most fundamental requirement: that it grant me a master’s degree more marketable than my master’s in history. Whether the marketing tells the truth is a different story, as I feel I have learned very little here academically. The classes on quantitative analysis and programming were too rushed and ill-conceived to teach me anything, and the classes on international relations theory did not teach me anything worth learning. Nonetheless, I learned a lot of life lessons from my fellow classmates, and I have found inspiration in many of them.

Horses on Port Meadow
The same
Wisterias and statues at Magdalen College
More wisterias
The front of a student dorm at Magdalen
Flowers at Magdalen
Tulips at Magdalen
Addison's Walk
Magdalen College
Magdalen Tower
A seat looking over the Water Meadow
Addison's Walk again
Magdalen College Chapel
Wisterias at New College
The same
The view down High Street
Brasenose College
A sundial
The same
Allium plants at Worcester College
The Sultan Nahrin Shah Centre at Worcester College
Another building at Worcester College
The Sultan Nahrin Shah Centre again
A chestnut tree
An old gate on the grounds of Worcester College
The same
The chestnut tree
Houses at Worcester College
An entryway overgrown with wisterias
Worcester College
Another quadrangle at Worcester College
A pathway through Worcester College
Worcester College Chapel
Christ Church
The main Quadrangle at Blackfriars
The church at Blackfriars
An icon at Blackfriars
The view from the first floor at Blackfrairs
The library of Blackfriars
The same
The Chapel of the Blessed Sacrament at Pusey House
The main quadrangle at Saint Cross College
More views of Saint Cross College
The library at Pusey House
A statue at the chapel of Lincoln College
Lincoln College
Wesley Memorial Methodist Church
The library of the Oxford Union
The same
A wooden panel at All Souls College
Gilt details at All Souls
The same
The altar of All Souls
The sundial of All Souls College
The same
A frontal view of All Souls
The view of All Souls from the University Church of Saint Mary the Virgin
A view of Radcliffe Camera from the University Church
A view of High Street
More views of All Souls
A stone decoration
Grotesques
Exeter College Chapel
Another view of Radcliffe Camera
Buildings at Saint Peter's
Entryways at Saint Peter's
Saint Peter's College Chapel
Another house at Saint Peter's
An old wall at Saint Peter's that will soon be built over
Saint Peter's College Library
Saint John the Evangelist Church
The same
The outside of Saint Stephen's House
The inside of Saint Stephen's House
Nuffield College Tower
The main quadrangle at Nuffield College
More views of Nuffield College
A view from the tower at Nuffield College
The staircase to the very top of the tower at Nuffield College
The chapel at Nuffield College
The fountain at Nuffield College
The entrance to Campion Hall
The Campion Hall college crest
The Cricket Pavilion at University Parks
Linacre College
More views of Linacre
Holywell Manor
Saint Cross Church

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Southern Delhi and Other Bits and Pieces

India: Day 9 – Independence Day

India: Days 5-8 – On a tea estate in Darjeeling