Day 1 in Japan: The Orange press and Monkey Man of Osaka
My plane arrived in Tokyo on Monday evening some forty minutes earlier than scheduled, which came as a big relief to me because I was afraid the airport shops would all start closing at eleven. I managed to exchange some money and buy a public transport pass. I also bought a SIM card, during which process I realised that I had lost my UK SIM card somewhere in Pakistan and spent much of the train ride from the airport trying to figure out how to block it. While unpacking my bags at the hotel, I also realised that I had lost my adapter. I must have left it in a plug at the airport in Kuala Lumpur.
I spent my first
morning in Japan, therefore, walking around the neighbourhood looking for a
place to buy an adapter – a search that took three quarters of an hour. Every
single 7-eleven and Family Mart I visited was stocked with exactly the same
electronics and no travel adapters. I visited perhaps seven or eight before I
finally found one that had an adapter tag on an empty shelf, so I picked it up
and carried it to the store attendant to ask whether they still had any in the
back. They did. I returned to the hotel just after Ciaran had woken up, and we soon
had all our bags packed for our ride to Osaka.
Despite buying our
tickets together and asking for reserved seats, the lady at the counter sat us
not next to each other but behind each other, which defeated the whole purpose
of the reservation (we later learned that it is nearly impossible to book side-by-side
seats a few minutes before departure because of how popular the reserved
carriages are). We made the most of the situation – Ciaran by falling asleep
and I by catching up on some outstanding administrative tasks. We arrived in
Osaka a little before one o’clock. Since this was too early to check-in, we
left our bags at the unserviced reception and left to eat lunch. This was the
second hotel in Japan where we did not personally interact with the staff a
single time, which is perhaps an indicator of just how many jobs can be at
least partly automated amidst Japan’s labour crisis.
For lunch, we ate at a
family-run soba place serving handmade noodles. We had chosen it as it was one
of the few places that Google Maps clearly identified as having vegetarian
options – the option here being soba with some kind of sweet fried tofu. I
really enjoyed this unexpected combination. Following that, we began our
tourist itinerary. We boarded the metro to Sakai, a less frequented town just
south of Osaka known for its imperial tombs, which take the form of mounds
shaped as keyholes, circles, and rectangles surrounded by moats and fenced off
from visitors due to their sacred nature.
We got off the metro
at Sakaihigashi and walked around the closest tomb – the Mausoleum of Emperor
Hanzei – passing through the small Hochigai Shrine north of its moat. Just
southwest of the station, we entered Sakai City Hall and rode the elevator up
to the top floor. The building houses an observatory with views of several
nearby tombs as well as Osaka’s skyline, though it functions in part as a small
community centre where people come to play the piano and entertain their
children. We took a few looks in each direction but spent most of our time
there putting money in the orange press machine and watching it work while a
little animated orange danced above the screen’s progress bar. On our way back
to Osaka, we also made a stop at the Sumiyoshi Grand Shrine, a Shinto shrine
from the year 211.
Our last stop for the day was Osaka Castle. We made it just in time to catch the last rays of sunlight striking the walls of the castle and the tops of the cherry trees, after which the coldness of the night quickly set in. We would have scurried back to our hotel immediately had we not happened upon a strange little show in castle gardens. Facing a group of children in the company of their parents, a man in a long dark kimono was showing off his pet macaque, who was himself dressed in a smart little colourful vest. The macaque jumped over ever taller hurdles and ever longer distances between the wooden steps his trainer prepared for him, always landing on his hands and walking a few paces on them with his bottom pointing to the sky. At the end of the show, the macaque waved to his audience and bowed together with his master.
Comments
Post a Comment