Back in a whole new Britain

A few days in bright and hot California made my return to Britain very pleasant. No longer would I have to put on sunscreen just to go outside, nor would I have to strategise how to stay in the shade on my walks. It occurs to me, however, that for a country that constantly has to deal with rain, the UK does not do so very well. My bus to Oxford was delayed by a quarter of an hour, and it arrived at least half an hour later than it should have. It reminded me of my arrival in Oxford two months ago, when major delays had been caused by a heatwave. Clearly, the dysfunctionality of UK traffic is chronic, and the weather is just an excuse. Whether it be heat, rain, or snow, there is always some (usually only slightly) inclement weather condition that throws a wrench into theoretically perfect timetables.

I had only just arrived at my short-stay apartment in Oxford when I registered some rumblings on my social media. The Queen had apparently had a health scare and the entire royal family was gathering at Balmoral. Although similar stories had made the headlines in the past, this one seemed more serious. I turned on the TV just in case I might miss something important.

I can hardly forget my confusion when, after emerging from the shower, I heard the newscasters talk of the Queen in the past tense. Were they still talking of hypothetical scenarios, or had this long-theorised event actually happened? The reality slowly settled in when I first heard the name Charles III be uttered.

I do not think future historians and history students will quite understand the power of this moment. There are few people alive who grew up before the "Second Elizabethan Era" and even fewer who remember it. When the Queen died, it seemed as though everything else had been put on hold. Many took to social media to post their condolences, others shared ironic memes, but everyone’s life converged on that one single event. The Queen (and it was never necessary to even specify her name) was synonymous with the British monarchy. One by one, outlandish realisations started to surface: her face would be replaced on banknotes and coins, there would never be more new stamps with her face on it, and the national anthem would become "God save the king." Even for people like me, who are generally apathetic towards monarchies, this seemed fantastical. The certainty moored by these details of daily life, which tend to change gradually and imperceptibly, was turned upside down in a single evening.

I spent my ten September days in Oxford shuttling back and forth between a little apartment on Abingdon Road and Saint Antony's main library. I suppose I could have picked a closer library to work on my thesis, but not all libraries practically guarantee solitude outside term times. These few days also offered me the opportunity to continue exploring the colleges of Oxford, an opportunity that alas, I only took up once. It just so happened that the day I did so coincided with Oxford's open days; I do not think this facilitated or impeded my entry anywhere, though it led to an uptick in the number of buntings in my pictures.


A statue in the niche of Bacon's Tower
Plants above the Thames
Bacon's Tower
A bend of the Thames
A building at Christ Church
Entrances on Saint Aldate's Street
Another building on Saint Aldate's
More buildings seen on my commute to Saint Antony's
Triton Fountain, Radcliffe Observatory in the background
Saint Luke's Chapel
Triton's Fountain
Saint Anne's

The White House, a place that serves good soup
The view past Bacon's Tower
Another view of Bacon's Tower
Tom Tower and Saint Aldates Church
The courtyard at Pembroke
Details at Pembroke
The dining hall at Pembroke
The Pembroke college chapel
An ornate entrance
    The Victorian Fountain on the Cowley side of the Cherwell
Cowley Road Methodist Church
Saint Hilda's College
Student accommodation at Saint Hilda's, presumably
Some kind of fruit that I am too hesitant to identify
Saint Edmund's
A sundial at Saint Edmund's
Another sundial at Saint Edmund's
University College
A man in a niche
Fan vaults at University College
Oriel College
More niches at Oriel
I taught myself the heraldic terms for all the things I can see in this picture and yet I still cannot find to whom this coat of arms belongs
More of Oriel
More accommodation at Oriel
More coats of arms at Oriel
The High Street entrance to Oriel
Corpus Christi
The same
Various interiors at Corpus Christi
Saint Mary the Virgin
The Lincoln College library
A horizontal view of the Lincoln College library
Lincoln College
A wall covered in vines
A quad at Lincoln
Another view of Lincoln
Exeter College
The library at Regent's Park College
The dining hall at Regent's Park
Wycliffe Hall
Kellogg College
University Parks
Mansfield College
Presumably the Mansfield college chapel
Two takes of Eleanor Roosevelt
Another view of Mansfield
The staircase at Harris Manchester
The entrance to Wadham
More niches at Wadham
A closer view of the niche
A quad at Wadham
A modern building that apparently won some kind of prize
The Wadham college chapel
Another Wadham quad
The tower of the Oxford Martin School

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Southern Delhi and Other Bits and Pieces

India: Day 9 – Independence Day

India: Days 5-8 – On a tea estate in Darjeeling