April Trips

Ever since I bought my English Heritage pass, I have been looking for ways in which I might be able to make it pay for itself. I even created an Excel spreadsheet to see at what exact point I would break even. Thus, I was elated to find out that English Heritage pass holders receive discounts on exhibitions at the British Museum, which allowed me to add the neat little sum of £4.5 to my “Money Saved” column.

The exhibition I visited was called “The World of Stonehenge” and its primary attraction – judging by the omnipresent posters – was the Nebra Sky Disc. I remember learning that the Nebra Sky Disc is thought to be the oldest known concrete depiction of the cosmos, dating to around 1600 BCE (I forget where and why I learned this, though I think Roberta Frank might have mentioned it in one of her classes on Old English or Beowulf). Since it was discovered in Saxony Anhalt, it has been classified as belonging to the Únětice Culture, named after the village of Únětice in Central Bohemia.

A number of other fascinating items made at around the same time were flown in from across Europe, including massive engraved stones from the Alps, intricately carved stone balls from Scotland, and beautiful golden ornaments from all around. The exhibition highlighted the interconnectedness of Europe, as much of the artistry bore close resemblances, and materials originating in one part of the continent had been found in another. It was probably the best exhibition I had ever been to.

As I was due to meet a friend around London Bridge later in the day, I decided to visit the Tower of London, passing through the picturesque ruins of Saint Dunstan on the way. The Tower was absolutely packed, so I did not even bother waiting in the 1 hour plus line to see the crown jewels. Instead, I followed the loop around the ramparts and explored the exhibition in the tower itself. Quite honestly, it was not the most interesting thing in the world, but the views of the exterior – especially where they contrasted the modern parts of the city – were not half bad.

I did not do all that much for the rest of the month, though I did make a little trip to the Church of Saint Margaret of Antioch in Binsey on Easter Sunday. It had not rained for a while and there was a light wind blowing, so little clouds of dust swirled around on the empty country roads as I made my way past the green fields and houses with quaint thatched roofs. The church is thought to be the final resting place of Saint Frideswide, foundress of the monastery that would later be incorporated into Christ Church. Apparently, the nearby well inspired part of Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland (I am yet to read this book, so I have no idea which part).

Some building on the way to the British Museum
An engraved menhir
A gold lunula
Arrow tips
An engraved head
Some kind of phallic object whose use I forget
Carved stone balls
Another massive rock
Bronze horses
The same
A golden breast ornament
Something alleged to be a golden hat
Several ceremonial items
An ancient helmet
Saint Dunstan in the East Church Garden from the inside
The walls of Saint Dunstan from the outside
A window at the church
The contrast between ancient and modern
More of the same
The Middle Tower at the Tower of London
Byward Tower
Bell Tower
White Tower
The ramparts at the Tower of London
The juxtaposition of modern London with some of the more ruined parts of the Tower of London
The White Tower as seen from the ramparts
The Shard to the left of the ramparts
Salt Tower
Trinity House and modern London as seen from the northern ramparts
Saint John's Chapel
White Tower again
Tower Bridge from the southern side
The Tower of London from the Queen's Walk
The HMS Belfast
The Shard
The Canal at Oxford
Saint Barnabas Church in Jericho
Binsey
A quaint house at Binsey
The entrance to the Church of Saint Margaret of Antioch
The interior of the church
A closer view of the altar
Another view of the church
More of the same
Manor Farm Cottage
The path from Binsey to Port Meadow
Boats at Port Meadow
The same on the opposite bank
A horse on Port Meadow
More horses
Saint Philip and Saint James Church
The same
Ibid.
A birdhouse on a chestnut tree
Chestnut blossoms
The gate to the Old Main Building at Saint Antony's
More pictures of the Old Main Building
Beautiful bushy chestnut trees
More of the same
Lavernum flowers
A former fountain on Walton Well Road
A house just off Walton Road in the direction of Port Meadow
The same
Walton Well Bridge
A houseboat under Walton Well Bridge
The houseboat again
A duck with her ducklings and a fake bird
Houseboats
The entrance to the Old Main Building at Saint Antony's
The roof of the same building
More of the same
And more
Wisterias at Saint Anne's College
Saint Anne's
Saint Anne's again
The wisterias again
More of the same
Chestnut blossoms
The same

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Southern Delhi and Other Bits and Pieces

India: Day 9 – Independence Day

India: Days 5-8 – On a tea estate in Darjeeling