January in Oxford

I spent a nice three weeks at home making traditional Christmas sweets and going on walks. Since several of my friends had covid, I saw almost no one, and decided it would be safer that way considering I would have to get back to Oxford for my exams. I made it a resolution for the new term to take a walk every day, which has helped me explore a decent chunk of town around Saint Antony’s. I discovered the western end of University Parks – where I had never been before – as well as the beautiful grounds of Lady Margaret Hall, among others.

Spring seems to begin much earlier in England than it does in New England (or Central Europe for that matter). On this side of the Atlantic (and the English Channel), Snowdrops begin to bloom as early as January, and crocuses and daffodils are February flowers. With so much to see, I have found it mostly easy to uphold my resolution to do one walk a day, though I have missed a couple during busy essay weeks. 

Jan Hus Square in Beroun
North Walk in University Parks
A massive tree along North Walk
The pond by Lazenbee's Ground Walk
The pond again
The weir on the river Cherwell by Parson's Pleasure
Some kind of cherry tree, I think
The library at Saint Antony's
More of the same
Saint Giles' Church
The history faculty
A building on Gloucester Green
An alleyway
Rhodes House
A tree in University Parks
Canada geese
The same
A blossoming cherry tree in front of the Investcorp Building
The same
More of the same
Kellogg College
A statue at the Oxford University Career Service
North Lodge Gate at University Parks
Wolfson Quad at Lady Margaret Hall
The wall of the Library at Lady Margaret Hall
More of the same
The chapel at Lady Margaret Hall
The same
More of the same
The park at Lady Margaret Hall
A little shack at the park
A pergola tunnel
The Wordsworth building at Lady Margaret Hall
A colonnade at Lady Margaret Hall
The tower above Leatare Quad
Saint Antony's Library
A building by Saint Anne's College
The same
The Richmond Hotel
The site of Bedford House School
The Blavatnik School of Government
On a different day down Holywell Street
Holywell Street again
The pastel-coloured buildings on Holywell Street
A lamp
Snowdrops
More snowdrops

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Southern Delhi and Other Bits and Pieces

India: Day 9 – Independence Day

India: Days 5-8 – On a tea estate in Darjeeling