Texas – New York

On my last day in Texas, my dad drove me to the town of Palestine for my friends’ (note the location of the apostrophe) wedding. The ceremony was beautiful, though I am admittedly a poor judge, as this was the first time I stayed for the entire event. Continuing a decades-long tradition, members and alumni of the Yale Russian Chorus sang the medieval Georgian hymn Shen Khar Venakhi as the bride and groom were taking communion. I was told we sounded good, though I am not sure whether that was merely said out of politeness.  

We left Texas the very next day. As we flew into New York, my dad pointed out he couldn’t see the statue of liberty – how insignificant have the monuments to our erewhile ideals been rendered by the modern age!

The next day, we travelled up to Orange in Connecticut, where I stored my books two years ago. Had someone told me about the post-apocalyptic world in which I would be picking them up, I would not have believed them. That is where the real struggle began. To our great consternation, the two giant suitcases we brought along consumed only three of the seven boxes of books I had left in storage. On our way from New Haven, and on our way to Newport the following day, we would buy evermore suitcases to accommodate my insane library, reaching a grand total of ten pieces of luggage for our upcoming flight.

We spent the night in Boston, where I saw some more friends from Yale, and I met up with Kelly the following afternoon in Newport. She was just visiting the quaint seaside town on a study trip to New England with the Winterthur program. I joined them on their guided tour of the Touro synagogue: the oldest surviving synagogue, we were told, in North America. As the name of the temple indicates, the community that founded it were Sephardi Jews, who had fled to Rhode Island owing to the state’s religious tolerance. Touro’s major claim to fame is its correspondence with George Washington, whose letter to the “Hebrew Congregation in Newport” is viewed (at least in Rhode Island) as a key innovation to the doctrine of religious toleration, which thanks to Washington turned into religious pluralism.

We left from JFK airport the following afternoon, giving me time to catch up with my roommate from college over a breakfast in Bryant Park. Well, I had breakfast, at any rate. He, having zealously adopted the New York lifestyle, ‘breakfasted’ on coffee. Despite our ten pieces of luggage, our voyage back to the Czech Republic went oddly smoothly. I would spend the subsequent weeks unloading and cataloguing over five hundred books.       

Park Street Church in Boston
The Savings Bank of Newport
Saint Paul's United Methodist Church
The same behind an interesting wooden house
The Old Colony House
A helmeted head
The United Baptist Church across the garden at Touro Synagogue (one must receive permission from the congregation of the synagogue to take pictures of the synagogue itself)
Trinity Church
Quaint wooden buildings
More wooden buildings
The New York Public Library
The New York Public Library again
Covid testing site on Times Square
Lyceum Theatre
An Irish pub
Grand Central
William Cullen Bryant Memorial in Bryant Park

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Southern Delhi and Other Bits and Pieces

India: Day 9 – Independence Day

India: Days 5-8 – On a tea estate in Darjeeling