My Last Week in Taipei

Because the pandemic drastically reduced the number of flights home, I had to stay in Taipei until Friday the 21st. I left my student apartment (or rather, I was made to leave) on Sunday, and I relocated to a hotel near Zhongxiao Dunhua station on the blue metro line.

I spent much of my time working on various applications and seeing friends. On Monday evening, several of us went to KTV along with a teacher from ICLP. I learned new Taiwanese songs and also returned to some classic Teresa Teng hits.

On Tuesday, Alison and I visited the Lin Family Mansion and Garden. The ornate and yet elegant architecture left us both very impressed (even though Alison had visited once before). I particularly liked the wooden panelling, while Alison enjoyed walking through the numerous artificial caves.  

A statue of the goddess Mazu in Banqiao 
The entrance to what is now the gift shop at the Lin Family Mansion
A pond at the Lin Family Mansion
The same
Blue bamboo window bars
Blue and white wall decorations
Paper dragon head for processions
A ceiling featuring what appears to be a crane
A Buddhist oven for burning offerings
The so-called 大笨鸟 (Dà bèn niǎo) "big dumb bird"
Another pond
The visitor living quarters
A butterfly window
The multiple entrances to the main hall at the visitor living quarters
Another view of the entrance
Wooden window decorations
Wall decoration
A covered walkway
Wooden panels
Dry lotus flower
Another building
Central garden
Octagonal portal
The same
Brown bamboo bars
Green bamboo bars

After leaving the mansion, we rode up to the Taipei Botanical Garden, where we were both tickled to find that the word for succulent is 多肉植物 (Duōròu zhíwù), meaning “much meat plant.” To tell the truth, the botanical garden is nothing very special, but it was there where we had the most fun. As we were sitting on the steps overlooking a large lily pond, a group of elderly women and three or four elderly men arrived and began to do warm-up exercises. After a few moments, one lady came up and apologised to us in English for the noise they were going to make: they were the Taipei Square Dancing club. Alison and I observed in both amazement and amusement as the twenty or so dancers separated into three circles, following which – to instructions sung to the tune of disco-square dance renditions of popular songs – ensued elaborate exchanges of partners and complex formations.

Palms at the Botanical Garden
Some fruit
Some more fruit
Water hyacinth
An old greenhouse
The National Taiwan Arts Education Centre as seen from the Botanical Garden
A cool residential building

On Wednesday, Nicolas and I visited some of the items on my Taipei metro red line bucket list: the Dharma Drum Mountain Nung Chan Monastery and the Taipei Fine Arts Museum. I puzzled over the word “mountain” in the name of the monastery, for although it is relatively far away from the city centre, no reading of the map could plausibly place it on some mountainside outside the city. As we were to find out, the monastery – aesthetically more reminiscent of a modern art gallery than of an old fashioned place of worship – offers impressive views of the Yangming mountains, which stand behind it when viewed from the south (according to my understanding of fengshui, such positioning is very auspicious). Since I had just read two books about Buddhism, I bought myself a little copy of the Heart Sutra at the bookstore.

Part of a set of statues depicting a physical exercise routine
The Dharma Drum Mountain Nung Chan Monastery
Another view of the monastery
Another view of the same, underscoring the ethereal presence of the lily square
An austere, serene passage
A gong

Our next stop was, for the lack of a better word, one of the most bizarre places I ever visited in Taipei. The gallery overflowed with surprises, from psychedelic paintings of figures in icon-like poses (the modern lollipop version of Hieronymus Bosch) to an expansive exhibition of the last pictures taken by a European Republican China. Some surprises, such as a vast subterranean and poorly lit exhibition of figures in the midst of alternately sexual and cannibalistic revelries, were somewhat less welcome.

The exterior of the Taipei Fine Arts Museum
A bizarre exhibition on durian medicine
A psychedelic icon-like painting of a shiba inu
A psychedelic hellscape by the same artist, Chia-Ying Chang
I forgot to note the artists of all subsequent artworks
A drawing on the wall
One of the subterranean rooms with drab-coloured canvasses 
The second floor was dedicated to the artists of the third world
A cutting from the same collection
A piece in a collection of art made by KMT refugees in Southeast Asia
A bizarre exhibition dedicated to Taiwanese foreign relations
I laughed out loud when I saw this image

I later went on a quest to find a battery for my portable suitcase weight, for my weight died and I had no way of telling whether my luggage weighed thirty-five kilograms or fifty. Nic recommended a store where I was indeed able to find the right battery, and I picked up two screwdrivers just in case. It later turned out these were completely unnecessary, but I learned a wonderful new phrase from Nic during the process: “righty tighty, lefty loosey.” After my stop at the shop, I made my way down to NTU one last time, and I finished decoding the Heart Sutra at Nic’s new apartment. In the evening, we went to watch Eli perform a five-minute stand-up routine at one of the greatest gatherings of westerners in Taipei – the Two Three Comedy Club.  

Koo Chen-Fu Memorial Library
More of the same
Yes, I could not decide which was the best shot
Another view of the Koo Chen-Fu Memorial Library
The exterior of the Koo Chen-Fu Memorial Library
A road at NTU
A tower adjoining the main library
The NTU main library
More of the same
More of the same
More of the same

Thursday was mostly an administrative day for me, filled with the writing of letters and applications. Dinner, however, was my last meal with Alison, Kayleigh, and Scott, so we treated ourselves to a nice vegan dinner of curry, skewers, and suspiciously delicious fake Beijing duck. We even hit two dessert places afterwards, stopping by a cookie shop and a gelateria. I left Alison my guitar with the understanding that she would treat it as though it were her own baby.   

I spent the morning of Friday, my final day in Taipei, trying to figure out the use of the respirator my dad had ordered me from the internet. After an hour spent scouring various online resources, I arrived at the conclusion that the respirator did indeed offer some protection – not against viruses and bacteria but against organic and inorganic vapours. I packed the respirator in my suitcase and decided to wear two layers of masks.

Having completed the checkout process, I made my way down the orange line to pick up an order of numismatic memorabilia I had made for my dad. I circled the block to find a bank, where I withdrew the exact amount of money I expected to need for the rest of my time in Taipei: an inauspicious thirteen thousand NTD. It reminded me of how I took the elevator in the morning – both of them were parked on the thirteenth floor when I pressed the button. I swear I am not superstitious.

With the transaction successfully done, I ate a leisurely lunch of fake chicken and fake fish with Zach, after which we toured the rest of my metro red line bucket list: the Lin An Tai Historical House and Museum and the National Revolutionary Martyrs’ Shrine. Just like the Lin Family Mansion and Garden in Banqiao, the Lin An Tai House was surprisingly pretty. It is not large by any means, but has a number of interesting features like strangely shaped portals and windows, and an oddly pleasing penchant for red brick.

The Baptist Church of the True Light
A statue erected by the Taipei Assembly of God
Another view of the same
The main building of the Lin An Tai Historical House and Museum
A painted tile outside one of the doors
The roofs of the main building complex
A building to the left of the main house, presumably meant for recreation
A circular portal
There is probably some fancy word for spiral ornaments at the tops of walls, but I can't find it
A butterfly window
The same, now behind a water pump
Another view of the same
A second cluster of buildings; this one built around a pond
An ornamented gable
A view of the pondside part of the complex
Another view of the same

Without any extensive planning, we arrived at the National Revolutionary Martyrs’ Shrine just in time to see the changing of the guard. Clad in white, they walked from the main building all the way to the gate, where they exchanged salutes for several minutes with the two guards to be replaced. Sadly, it seems that because of reconstruction, much of the inner area of the hall was inaccessible to the general public. It was also at that time that I realised I had somehow lost my public transportation card. I suppose that if, in the grant scheme of things, this was supposed to happen at some point, the timing could not have been more convenient, for I had reached a negative balance and I did not need it any longer. Nevertheless, it made me sad, as my card had accompanied me for a whole year and I had planned to stick it in my diary.

The National Revolutionary Martyrs' Shrine
Soldiers in front of the National Revolutionary Martyrs' Shrine
More of the same
The same soldiers behind the gate to the National Revolutionary Martyrs' Shrine
More of the same
More of the same
More of the same
More of the same
More of the same
A minor building at the complex
The gate
The main building
Soldiers dwarfed by the massive pillars and heavy roof
The gate again

The day did not end there, however, and in the evening I met up with Li, Adam, Eli, and Nic for one last dinner. Much of the food was delicious, but the company was even better (yes, I am flattering y’all because I know at least one of you will eventually happen upon this post). Particularly heart-warming was Nic’s and Eli’s parting gift of a book, in which they wrote me little goodbye notes. We spent an inordinate length of time taking leave of each other.

Nevertheless, the time of greatest emotional turmoil came during the last portion of the day. I arrived at a practically empty airport, where the staff at the underused check-in counters and shops almost matched the number of passengers. I could not help taking pictures. I also found out my luggage was thirteen kilograms over the limit, so I jettisoned a few disliked textbooks and stuffed a few others in my backpack. I still ended up paying around 12,000 NTD for exceeding the weight limit, though. My journey home via Paris (featuring, of course, none other the tenth circle of Hell also known as Charles de Gaulle airport), was perhaps the most mundanely uncomfortable experience in my life – I kept worrying about my mask, disinfecting my hands, and my eyes were completely red by the time I got to Paris – both because of little sleep and because the combination of a mask and goggles meant I was continually blowing air into my own face. In total, I had spent a non-stop twenty-eight hours in two facemasks, one pair of goggles, and lugging two overweight carry-ons across half the world.

The following are all simply haunting pictures of an empty Taoyuan Airport
Ibid.
Ibid.
Op. cit.
Ibid.
Ibid.
Op. cit. 
Op. cit.
Op. cit.
Ibid.
Ibid.
Ibid.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

India: Days 5-8 – On a tea estate in Darjeeling

India: Day 2 – A religious experience and a trip to the colonial past

India: Day 9 – Independence Day