The Struggle against Bureaucracy Continues (Part 3)

Almost a week had passed since I underwent my physical, and surely enough, I was notified the following Tuesday that I lacked sufficient antibodies for German measles and would have to receive a vaccination. That was somewhat puzzling, as my last check-up did not indicate anything of the sort, but better safe than sorry, I suppose.

This time around, I navigated my way confidently both to the hospital and to the sixteenth floor. Rather amusingly, the doctor explained to me that the side-effects of the rubella vaccine could include coughing and fevers, and apologised for the awkwardness of the situation. I made sure, as I was subsequently leaving the hospital, to write an email to my program letting them know that if I was not let into the building one day, it would most likely be due to my vaccine and not the coronavirus.

I would just add here that what surprised me about the whole ordeal of receiving the vaccine was the complexity of the process. After listening to the obligatory explanation from the doctor (and answering his questions about any allergies I might have), I was given a little sheet by the sixteenth-floor desk workers with a request for one MMR vaccine. I took it down to the pharmacy, where – after a bit of searching – I found a window under which I slid the request and was given a plastic bag with a vial in return. I then made my way, along with the bag, to the actual vaccination room, in front of which I picked up a number from the ordering machine, and sat down. Shortly after, I was called in, the nurse told me to roll up my sleeve, and then emptied the vial with a syringe. Upon receiving my injection, I returned to the sixteenth floor with some confirmation of my inoculation – I forget what exactly that was, but I think it may have entailed a stamp somewhere on the papers I had brought into the vaccination room.

Finally, I received valid documents confirming my physical health to Taiwanese authorities.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Southern Delhi and Other Bits and Pieces

India: Day 9 – Independence Day

India: Days 5-8 – On a tea estate in Darjeeling