The Start of a New Decade

To begin with, yes, I am aware that the new decade has technically not yet started, seeing as decades run from the year 1 to the year 10. However, given the fact that, for example, we very seldom think about the 1960s as excluding the year 1960 and including the year 1970, I believe I am justified in welcoming the new decade now.

Geopolitically speaking, perhaps, there is not much to welcome. Over six decades have passed since the coup against Mohammad Mosaddegh and they have seen us become no wiser or any less belligerent. In the meantime, an entire continent is battling unprecedented fires and evacuating hundreds of thousands of people, all amidst assurances that none of this is out of the ordinary. This decade has not started well.

In my personal life, however, the start of a new year has brought with it a reinvigorating effect. I started sending out emails I had been planning to write for ages, and it seems I have finally crossed the finish line with at least one very modest piece of writing, a poem translation I submitted to the Yiddish Book Center. If everything goes well, the piece should be out next month, marking the first time I will officially be turning a profit on any sort of writing. I am holding my breath on a few other projects, whose publication is only a hazy possibility, though I do not yet despair. We Czechs are a superstitious people, and I take it as an extraordinary sign (and hopefully good one too) that on the 1st of January, both a blue jay and woodpecker visited our house.    

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Southern Delhi and Other Bits and Pieces

India: Day 9 – Independence Day

India: Days 5-8 – On a tea estate in Darjeeling