Do not Listen to the Weather Forecast and Trust Your Bones

I recently found out that Yunnan is the location of Shangri-La, which, as every good tourist brought up on Tintin and Scooby Doo will realise, I am now obligated to visit. Never mind the fact that the city, formerly known as Zhongdian, was renamed to Shangri-La in 2001 to attract tourists. The pictures look nice and I get to say I’ve been to the mythical lost paradise to wow other sock-and-sandal-wearing westerners.

What this new bullet point on my itinerary means, however, is that the time I have to explore Kunming is somewhat more limited than I initially anticipated. For that reason, I planned out an all-encompassing tour of the city to undertake right after my Friday exam, eliminating the vast majority of the points on my itinerary. The intense planning caused me some mild exhilaration, but a look at the grim weather forecast smacked me right back to the ground: a high chance of rain throughout the afternoon, and cloudy all day. 

Yet for some reason, it just did not feel like the next day was going to be cloudy and rainy, and I fell asleep with a high dose of logically unjustified scepticism. It was not misplaced, however, as I woke up the next day to a bright and sunny morning, which extended to an entire bright and sunny day. After I finished my exam, I strolled through Kunming Zoo to Yuantong Temple, went down to the Huaniao (Flowers and Birds) Market, stopped by the Eastern and Western towers, and even had time to consume an enormous plate of lotus root. The highlight of my day was when I helped out some very confused Australian tourists who could not understand that – due to their age – they could enter the temple without buying tickets. Admittedly, this does violate the language pledge, but I don’t think CET’s administration is reading my blog.


 A peacock at Kunming Zoo (not featured: the hordes of tourists surrounding him)
 An albino peacock at Kunming Zoo
 A monument inside Kunming Zoo
 A deer trying to figure out whether I am carrying food
 The view of Yuantong Temple from Kunming Zoo's hill
 Yuantong Temple
 Another view of Yuantong Temple
 A more symmetrical view of Yuantong Temple
 My favourite view of Yuantong Temple
 A courtyard at Yuantong Temple
 Meticulously decorated handrails at Yuantong Temple
 The gate to Yuantong Temple
 The Monument to the People's Heroes in the centre of Kunming
 A road in the Huaniao Market
 A church to the south of the Huaniao Market
 Downtown Kunming
 Nancheng Mosque
 Yongning Mosque
 The gates at Jinma Square
 The Western Tower
 The Western Tower from behind
 The statue of a merchant and his horses in front of the Eastern Tower
 Ancient fortress between the Eastern and Western Towers
 A vertical view of the Eastern Tower
 A horizontal view of the Eastern Tower
 The eastern gate at Jinma Square
 The street under Nancheng Mosque
 A tower in Cuihu Park
A whiff of home on the streets of Kunming

The day afterwards, CET made another excursion, this time to the Yunnan Provincial Museum. The building is absurdly oversized, especially considering how mediocre the exhibition is – we saw some rocks, some bad plastic dinosaurs, and a few historical artefacts. We ate lunch in the nearby Guandu ancient town.    


 A little iron ox reflecting the priorities of China's early agricultural societies
  A cowrie container 
 Supposedly a belt ornament (I am not sure how on earth one attaches this to a belt)
 A deer
 A spearhead - judging by the details, purely decorative
 An intricately crafted Buddhist statue
A golden Guanyin
CET at Yunnan Museum
 Jingang pagoda in the Vajra style, Guandu
 A tower in Guandu
Door detail at a Taoist temple in Guandu

In the meantime, my weekly translation exercises have been keeping me well entertained. After despairing of not being able to find a German poet whose work has not yet been translated into English, I came across Emerenz Meier, an early twentieth century Bavarian poetess, whose poem “Mushrooms” is a pure delight.  I discovered treasure of similar brilliance in the writings of the Cuban poet Agustín Acosta, and as for Yiddish, I have stayed at the doorstep of Melech Ravitch, some of whose work I translated for my Yiddish class at Yale.

Comments

  1. Oh no, you broke your language pledge! Don't worry, the Light Fellowship will not report this to CET. :) It sounds like you're doing great Ladi! We look forward to next week's tale!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Southern Delhi and Other Bits and Pieces

India: Day 9 – Independence Day

India: Days 5-8 – On a tea estate in Darjeeling